Monday, September 27, 2010

Day 3: A Season of Gratefulness

Today I am grateful for...

1. Fresh Flowers. Nothing brings a smile to my face quicker than fresh flowers on my kitchen table. Some people think they are a waste of money, but the pure joy I get out of them makes it worth it to me. Peonies and tulips are my favorite, but anything will do. I wish I made the time to garden more so that I could provide my own, but until that time I will settle for the $6.99 variety from Whole Foods.

2. Ice Cream. I love ice cream. Not as much as I love coffee, but it is a close second. I’m fairly certain that my love affair with ice cream began about 6 weeks into my life when my granddaddy decided that sharing his with me was a good idea (I think mom is still mad about this). Some of my fondest memories involve ice cream…eating it with a wooden spoon at granddaddy’s grocery store when I was little, after neighborhood softball games with my best friends, and sitting by the pool on summer afternoons, to name a few. I’ll never forget the first gelato I had in a park in Rome, the strawberry milkshake I ordered the one time Eric and I broke up, or the mint chocolate chip and vodka concoction Astyn and I made regularly in high school.

3. Advanced Communication Technology. Sometimes being constantly connected seems like such a huge burden; however, when I think of all of the positive aspects, the magnitude of the apparent burden lessens considerably. Man by nature is a social being and communication advancements promote a greater social connection. Through Skype, I am able to stay in touch with Eric when he is literally half way around the world almost as easily as I can when he is just across town. There are so many people that I may have never spoken to or seen again had it not been for Facebook. Moreover, the support network you are able to establish in difficult times that is unbelievable.

4. Puppy Kisses. Is it even necessary to explain this one? I am convinced that, as crazy as they make me, my pets are a little bit of heaven temporarily located in my living room. They sense my moods better than any person and they are always quick to comfort me. Every morning Macie is waiting at the bottom of the stairs wagging her entire body when I get up and the first thing she does is lick me anywhere she can. Bryant is a little lazier in the mornings, but eventually he makes it around to planting is cold, wet nose on my leg to say good morning. It is absolutely impossible to be around them and be in a bad mood.

The last couple of days have been pretty rough, but I am fortunate to be surrounded by people who love me. It is good to be reminded of things that make me happy; I am very blessed and intend to continue reminding myself of it on a daily basis. What are you grateful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment