Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 1: A Season of Gratefulness

Today is the Autumnal Equinox. Inasmuch, I decided to make this fall A Season of Gratefulness.
I thought I should set some sort of parameters for my daily lists; this is what I came up with…
  • Every day from now until winter solstice, I will make a list of no fewer than 4 reasons that I should be, and hopefully am, grateful.
  • No single reason can be repeated in a week.
  • No complete list can ever be repeated

Are you ready? This will quite possibly be so insanely positive you won’t be able to stand it!

Today I am grateful for…

  1. Cooler weather. Not only is it a nice reprieve from the gross hot summer in Nashville and the beginning of what I fondly refer to as eating season, but also because it means football, brightly colored fall leaves, and some of my favorite holidays including Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19), Halloween, and my birthday (yes, I consider it a holiday!!).

  2. Coffee. It is going to be hard not to repeat this one in a week. Coffee may be my single greatest joy on the planet and is so, so, so simple! AND since it is fall again, the Pumpkin Spice Latte will make a comeback very soon.

  3. Curiosity. There are days that I have zero willpower, zero respect for the academic process, zero sense of obligation, and zero direction, but I continue for no other reason than I just want to know what will happen if. Sometimes the if is nonsensical and sometimes it steers me to exactly the right spot. Whichever it is, at least curiosity keeps me going when nothing else does.

  4. Compassion. Because sometimes we all just feel blah. I’ve felt that way a lot lately and if I didn’t have compassion from others, it would have been a lot worse. The two parts of compassion are sympathy and the desire to alleviate pain. The latter, in my opinion, has the greatest impact. Sympathy is easy, we can all recognize when something really sucks, but to care enough to try to lessen another’s pain is truly an act of love. I am blessed beyond anything I ever could have imagined to have compassionate friends and my hope is that I make every effort to be compassionate toward others.

Ok, so there it is…Day 1of A Season of Gratefulness. Somehow, I landed on a C theme today, not intentional but whatever, I’ll go with it for the moment.


What are you grateful for??



No comments:

Post a Comment