Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Joy Diet & ALL EYES

I am reading Martha Beck's The Joy Diet again. The timing is great because my friend just began ALL EYES: an experiment in self-improvement. A theme of self-awareness and honesty seems to be developing in my life. The Joy Diet encourages stepping outside of your comfort zone, conquering fears, and identifying your desires; ALL EYES is centered around confessions about areas of your life you want to improve. I have found that both have encouraged me to be more self-aware and brutally honest with and about myself.

I thought I would share my confessions from ALL EYES here and update as I address them. I think this will follow very closely with my progression through The Joy Diet. Here they are...shameful, disgusting, and somewhat ridiculous:
  • I have a half-re-upholstered chair in my garage that I started 2 years ago.


  • I use "we're doing a major renovation" as an excuse for always having a messy house.


  • I consider washing my hair every other day a serious victory.


  • I bite my fingernails.


  • I have no idea what I want to do "when I grow up."


  • Sometimes I pretend not to know how to do things just so I won't have to.


  • I talk about how much I love running all the time, but I haven't run more than 2 miles in months.

2 comments: